Thursday, January 22, 2009

There was a Moth...

... fluttering around my living room. At first it spun in circles in mid-air before it went for the TV.

Mothy slapped at the television for a moment then toppled down toward to the DVR lights on a lower shelf, possibly suffering from static shock. It then proceeded to aim for the lamp directly above my head. At that point Booger caught sight of it and proceeded to bat at the flappy-flappy (her word not mine) until she succeeded in catching and eating it.

Poor moth.

Good kitty.

Now, if I were really talented I would relate this lame tale of a moths short existence to some trial of life and draw a beautiful, poignant conclusion that would move you to tears...

And if I were really, really talented I would make you think I had nothin', but then pull something out of my hat...

I don't wear hats. :-p

Occasionally, I feel as if life is just whizzing by. The kids are screaming, the dog is barfing, the phone is ringing. I am fluttering about sort of aimlessly between tasks. Breakfast, school, lunch, nap, dinner, bed...

I know my final destination is the main source of light in the darkness but in the meantime I haphazardly allow myself to get side tracked by lesser lights, distractive flickers, and occasionally I get zapped.

Being a supermom (which is any mom who remains conscience for the majority of the day) I recover quickly and refocus. I aim toward the light. However, instead of landing safely on the lamp shade to bask in the glow, I flappy-flappy indecisively until something lunges out of the darkness and consumes me for good.

OK, I am being a little mellow-dramatic, but there are times when my spiritual walk suffers at the paws of life batting at me. Some days I'm golden... I find my spot on the wall, rest my tired wings, and let The Light warm me through. Other days, I'm cat chow.

I am not doubting my salvation, and I am not doubting my relationship with Christ. Just longing for a time when the distractive flickers are fewer and I can rest in the glow of my Savior's love without hearing the screams in the background because one child breathing anothers air.



They feast on the abundance of your house;
you give them drink from your river of delights.

For with you is the fountain of life;
in your light we see light.

Continue your love to those who know you,
your righteousness to the upright in heart.

Psa 36:9



P.S. And to all those little old ladies I meet in line at the grocery store, I AM enjoying every minute, as much as humanly possible, because I know these days are fleeting and we will never get them back.

11 comments:

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

Never compared life to a moth...but sure makes alot of sense to me!

Blessings!

~Beth

Dena said...

"Other days, I'm cat chow". You said it all right there. LOL

Oh, and you are so right...these days are fleeting! Keep on enjoying them.

T said...

"Occasionally, I feel as if life is just whizzing by. The kids are screaming, the dog is barfing, the phone is ringing. I am fluttering about sort of aimlessly between tasks. Breakfast, school, lunch, nap, dinner, bed..."

I am with you on this one...I hope you can come out of your aimless haze and have some good time for you! It's a hard thing being mom, wife, everything sometimes. Remember to sneak away, (in a locked bathroom if you have too!) and have a few minutes everyday to yourself!!

I am also with you, with the old ladies in line. I get told that from my dad, enjoy this it will be gone soon and I say, "I do enjoy it but sometimes I am just plum tired so shush up and leave me alone!!"

I hope you have a great PEACEFUL weekend!!

Garden State Kate said...

LOL, Sing it Sista!
;-)

Robin Lambright said...

I love it when those totally random seemingly meaningless happenings turn into a lesson on life from our Heavenly Father. It clarifies for me just how much He is into the minute details of our lives and how He can and is living and active.

Great insight!

Robin

betty said...

your heart is in the right place, the Lord knows that and He knows you are also doing something so very worthy, raising kids that will learn about him and know him; we all do the best we can; but this is when I think that he really looks at our hearts and know who is trying to live for him, and I believe you are!

betty

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Psssssst . . . take it from one who dodged A LOT of cats in my day (and still does), there are some days worth FORGETTING. Savor the beautiful moments, dance through the magical days when WONDER WOMAN blazes on your chest, and flap like crazy to get beyond those "flappy days."

[I just had a crazy-retro tune waft into my head . . . "Sunday, Monday, Flappy Days -- Tuesday Wednesday, Flappy Days . . ."]

Remember, the Lord has His eye on the sparrow (a fellow flapper).
: D

Anonymous said...

Funny as that was, it gave me goose bumps! Loved your p.s. too. :D Happy weekend!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh, I am those little old ladies. "Cat Chow" cracked me up. You're going to be perfectly fine, and I know that you know that. A person just needs to let off steam once in a while, and blogs are good for that. You earned this depressurization point today!

Andi said...

Loved the blog! I know the feeling,and I only have 2 kids!

Karen Deborah said...

VERY GOOD! You get an A for this one. I know all about being cat chow, some days even a hairball.
Poignant yes, very.