My poor Marli learned the hard way that humans... no matter how enthusiastically they flap... are NOT made to fly. Her maiden voyage off the ladder of her brother's loft bed landed in a an itty bitty walking cast. Healing should take about four weeks. Its a tiny little crack on the toe end of her fifth metatarsal... er... the wee littlest piggy. Look at her little bones... they don't even touch yet. Oh they are so cute on the inside as well as the out... sigh.
We ARE fearfully and wonderfully made.
She was so brave too. From the doctor to getting the x-rays to being fitted for the cast she never complained or cried. I think she rather enjoyed all the attentioin and being carried everywhere.
Anyway, because of Marli's adventure I am a little late in putting up my Random Dozen. Once again Linda @ 2nd Cup has given my brain something to chew on...
... here's what it spit out. :-p'
1. Which is worse: a long, boring meeting or standing in a return/exchange line after Christmas?
I can not remember ever being in a long boring meeting... I can, however, remember being in some overly long completely boring collage classes. I must honestly say that in comparison to those classes I actually enjoy standing in the return/exchange line after Christmas.
For one thing, I am the type that has no qualms about striking up conversations with strangers for my own entertainment. That is totally looked down upon during lectures in a classroom. Another thing is that after Christmas EVERYTHING is half off. It's the perfect time to take back that ugly, green, turtle neck sweater, complete with twinkling lights, that my out of state (and mind) great aunt sent me and grab myself some bargains with the store credit.
The only bargain I ever got from those long past, too boring for words classes was an open eyed nap for the price of tuition. :-p
2. Except for maybe Rosie O'Donnell or Ann Coulter, nobody likes confrontation, yet we all have to deal with it. When you feel cornered and defensive, do you "bite back" or become passive aggressive?
I am sooooo passive ... not aggressive at all... just passive. Go ahead, blame it all on me, I'll take the rap if it brings about peace and order.
3. Do you know anything about your genealogical background? (What country, culture, ties to prominent historical figures, or other stuff.)
On my mother's side I am Pennsylvania Dutch of German descent. A quiet people of huntsmen and crafts women.
On my fathers side I get more German and lots of deep, dark Scandinavian. And by deep and dark I am talking Vikings. My paternal relatives grow out their beards, and don their horned helmets to take part in a Scandinavian festival every year. They wear fur and roar and pillage and plunder on a viking ship shaped float. I've seen pictures... its not pretty.
4. What is the quickest way a person can endear him/herself to you?
Babysit for free. :-D
5. Cake, pie, cookies, or ice cream? (Note there is no "all of the above" option. You must choose one. Feel free to elaborate on flavor or memories tied to this dessert.) If you'd like, you can share a recipe, but you certainly don't have to.
I could live off ice cream. Denali's makes some killer flavors like Bear Claw (dark chocolate, fudge and caramel swirls and chocolate covered cashews) and Extreme Moose Tracks (chocolate ice cream, fudge swirls, and dark chocolate filled chocolate cups). Sinfully good.
6. Females: Do you regularly change your handbag to coordinate with your outfit?
This is going to be such a let down to some of you, but I have used only two different purses in the last 12 years. AND they both look pretty much the same. I had a small, tan, knit bag before I had kids, and now I have a large, tan, knit bag that holds all the stuff I carry for the kids.
7. Are you task-oriented or relationship-oriented?
I must be task oriented cuz I'm not sure I know what being relationship oriented means.
8. IHOP, Bob Evans or Cracker Barrel?
I have only been to IHOP... I think I would prefer one of the other two. ;-)
9. Have you ever left a movie in progress in a theater? Why?
Nope. We are pretty careful about what we go to see at the movie theater. And once I've paid ten bucks to watch something I'm. Going. To. Watch. It.
10. What is one area of life in which you would like to develop more discipline or organization?
The kids' schooling. I'm getting there, but I know I'm still lacking in some areas. We flip flop from one subject to another depending on our mood. Sometimes I even let the kids choose which subject they want to do next. Its worked so far though. Kiah is reading everything she can get her hands on and trying to be extra good at math because she is going to be an astronaut... and "they need to be good at numbers ya know".
James is a little more challengling but he does the work I put in front of him... eventually. He wants to be anything that allows him to drive a vehichle with sirens.
Sometimes our sit down school day lasts two hours other days it will drag on forever... Seems to me it should be a little more regular but, then again, LIFE is not regular.
11. Was middle school fun or painful?
I only remember glimpses of middle school but they can all be rated neutral to good. Certainly not painful, so I choose fun.
12. What is your favorite Fall beverage?
Eggnog. It is so yummy. I don't like the fancy homemade stuff. Just give me the artificially flavored, packaged in a cardboard carton, always on sale, eggnog. MMMMmmmmm.