Sunday, November 02, 2008

Sunday Songbook ~ An Obamanation



My Country 'Tis of Thee

My country, ’tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims’ pride,
From every mountainside,
Let freedom ring!

My native country, thee,
Land of the noble free,
Thy name I love;
I love thy rocks and rills,
Thy woods and templed hills;
My heart with rapture thrills,
Like that above.

No more shall tyrants here
With haughty steps appear,
And soldier bands;
No more shall tyrants tread
Above the patriot dead—
No more our blood be shed
By alien hands.

Let music swell the breeze,
And ring from all the trees,
Sweet freedom’s song;
Let mortal tongues awake;
Let all that breathe partake;
Let rocks their silence break,
The sound prolong.

Our fathers’ God, to Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing;
Long may our land be bright
With freedom’s holy light;
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God, our King.


"I in­stant­ly felt the im­pulse to write a pa­tri­o­tic hymn of my own ... Pick­ing up a scrap of waste pa­per which lay near me, I wrote at once, prob­ab­ly with­in half an hour, the hymn ‘Amer­i­ca’ as it is now known ev­ery­where. The whole hymn stands to­day as it stood on the bit of waste paper."

Samuel F. Smith, 1831


In light of the upcoming election I decided to go with a more patriotic hymn. I was planning on spewing out a opinion post of my own about what we are getting ourselves into. Although I am not overwhelmingly politically minded I do have opinions. I wanted to share what little I knew out of desperation. There are some scary things out things out there that in light of our post 9-11 country should raise MAJOR red flags. I thought if I could bring some facts to light and change just one mind then it may make a difference.

As I cruised around some of the blogs I follow I found some of these awesome women were taking the words right out of my mouth. I will defer you to them because they have done a much better job saying what I wanted to say. God Bless you and see you at the polls.


This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I wish I could just cut and paste it over here but the credit goes to beckyjomama not only for taking the words right out of my mouth but for being brave enough to write them in the first place.

A man who has bled for this country or a man who wants this country to bleed.

Yes we know war is a terrible thing but what do the people fighting it think?

And to lighten the load, there is power in the "O".


Are you ready for an Obamanation? I am not.


7 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

I am not ready!!! The fight is not over yet...Nov. 4th will tell us!!! I posted a political post today...went back and forth but this is me..my thoughts...who I am! I have received a ton of "mean" email from people who don't visit my blog often..oh well!
Have a good night!
-sandy toes

Anonymous said...

Oh, that picture gives me goosebumps. Love it.

Our country and everything it's stood for for so long - well, it almost feels like it's all slipping away, doesn't it? But, like I tell my youngest dd (my worrier), no matter who is our president, our ultimate Master is our Heavenly Father - He wants the very best for us and keeps us in His loving hands always.

Praying for the best, but always keeping it in perspective.

Blessings,

~Kellie

beckyjomama said...

Wow, I am honored that you linked to me - in all my rage of that day.

Anonymous said...

I'm not ready, but I think we'll have to get ready in a hurry tomorrow.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

I am dedicated to prayer these days. In my reading of Scripture I wonder whether we are ignorant Nineveh (set to receive mercy) or evil Sodom (slated for destruction). Either way I am gazing into the face of my beloved savior, resting in His glory, embracing my family, and finding joy in the moment. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared, but I hand it all over to the Lord and receive joy.

I've voted. I've campaigned. I know of only one person voting for Obama (based on the bumper sticker her car sports). Generally I CELEBRATE elections, but not this year. I am steeped in prayer. May God Bless America.

Thanks for boldly stating your reservations about Obama.

Greg C said...

I got so wrapped up in those other blogs I almost forgot to come back here and say thank you. I need to read more.

Unknown said...

I am ready for God to do great things with our nation. No matter who is the President. I believe that Obama will live morally and do the very best thing for our country! May God guide him and may Christians every where rally around our political leader. Wether they like him or not.