Friday, July 04, 2008

For the Birds

This is my sanctuary. A place where kids are NOT allowed! Well, for the most part *sigh*.



It is my own private fuchsiarama. My Loves idea (thanks *mwah*). A place safe from rats with hooves (deer), and, with the help of a nearly sound proof sliding glass door, safe from kids as well.



As much as I love to take an occasional respite here, it is for the birds. Little winged wonders that flit about, gracing me with their presence while enjoying the bounty which I have set out for them. The fountain, lovingly dubbed "the frog pond" attracts all sorts of visitors who are longing for a cool drink. Mr. Grey Squirrel patters down his tree every morning to take a sip and to say a hardy, "top of the mornin' t'ya" to a lively pair of bullfrogs that were rescued from a local pet store as tadpoles. Here a male Western Tanager contemplates a bath while a female Lesser Goldfinch patiently waits her turn.




Visitors may also enjoy a sip of water or a bath in a smaller, less intimidating oasis. Nonetheless, they approach with caution lest the cement frog attempt to eat them.





The Pine Siskins and Lesser Goldfinches are constantly vying for a prime position at the thistle feeders. The funny thing is that there is plenty to go around and always an empty perch. They are never happy to sit in peace and sup together, causing me to believe that their despise for each other runs as deep as the Capulets' and Montagues' (LOL-I have no idea if I spelled those names right ... and I'm too tired to look it up :-p)




To the untrained eye this santuary I have created for the birds may look like some seeds dumped into a variety of dollar store vessels then scattered about a rickety deck. However, I know that it is a veritable bird bed and breakfast, a hot spot for the fowl, if you will. They come to eat, to refresh, to frolic, to delight. So, it turns out that my little, semi-kidless, bird friendly back porch is not actually for the birds..... it is for the mom.


Bird visitor honorable mentions:

Stellar's Jay
Chestnut Chickadee
Mountain Chickadee
Mourning Dove
White-Breasted Nuthatch
Red-Breasted Nuthatch
Black Headed Grossbeak
Dark-eyed Junco
Brewer's Blackbird
Anna's Hummingbird
Rufus Hummingbird
Hairy Woodpecker
Western Scrubjay
Oak Titmouse
House Finch

2 comments:

Debbie in CA : ) said...

What a delightful spot! Every mommy needs her hideaway (in plain sight, of course). I see no rickety deck or dollar-store items ... they have all fallen under the spell of tranquility and become treasures most enviable for a weary one. Next time I come by, can we sit and sip tea in your sanctuary? I am willing to chirp and play in the water, but I draw the line at little seeds -- they get stuck in my teeth and it is so embarassing! LOL, you say, in bloggerdom? I'm LOLling. : )

Julie said...

That is so beautiful! I love it!